Join the Surge and Unleash the Power of our Scouts!
The Order of the Arrow is working with the Boy Scouts of America to help promote
Scout Surge 9/11. Lodges and chapters are encouraged to lead service projects in
their area with units between September 1-10, 2011. Help promote Scout Surge 9/11
through social media and share your story through Facebook by posting to
About Scout Surge 9/11
are encouraged to serve in their communities September 1-10, 2011, using the suggested
service projects and posting them to web and social media channels. In addition,
these activities should be recorded in the Journey to Excellence service program.
On September 11, Scouts are encouraged to gather as groups and invite non-Scout
friends to watch the movie, New York Says Thank You, which tells the story
of the first responders to the New York City terrorist attacks and which features
Scouts from the Little Sioux tornado tragedy.
Things to Do:
- Select, plan, and schedule your service project between September 1 and
- Use Twitter, texting, e-mail, Facebook, and MySpace to spread the word.
- Post your service project ideas and event pictures on the BSA Facebook page,
your council's Facebook page, or other social media.
- Gather as a group on September 11 (invite non- Scout friends) to watch the
movie, New York Says Thank You.
Ideas for the Event:
- Hold a ceremony to properly retire an American flag.
- Visit a local fire, police, or EMT facility and present them with a flag
of honor or another appropriate expression of thanks.
- Conduct a service project in honor of or memory of 9/11/01 first responders.
For more information and updates on Scout Surge 9/11, visit
Share your experiences from Scout Surge 9/11 online at the Order of the Arrow
Facebook page at www.facebook.com/oabsa
Lodges and chapters with additional questions may email